Checkify Blog

Register A Death Checklist

2 Min Read
Register A Death Checklist

​Register a death will require reporting the death to many organisations and government departments. There are a number of important steps and pieces of information that is needed.

Find your local registry office, where the registrar will use the information you provide to update the official records. Once the process has been completed, you will receive the death certificate and other documents that will enable you to arrange a funeral.

Ready to dive in?
Start Your Free Trial Today

Checklist when someone dies

The death certificate is the official entry of the death and contains information about who has died with the cause. 

A burial / Cremation Certificate will be needed to give to the funeral director.

Register a death as soon as possible within 5 days.

Register A Death Checklist

Reporting the death to organisations and government departments
Medical Certificate

Obtain a medical certificate from the hospital/doctor which will show the cause of death and signed by a doctor.


Register a death requires a number of the deceased persons documents:

  • Birth Certificate
  • NHS Number
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Driving Licence
  • Proof of Address
Personal Information

Information you will need to tell the registrar:

  • Full Name (maiden name)
  • Date & Place of Birth
  • Date & Place of Death
  • Residential Address
  • Occupation
  • Benefits: State Pension
  • Name Spouse
  • Date of Birth of Spouse
Certificates Issued

The registrar will give you

  • Burial / Cremation Certificate (Green Form)
  • Certificate Registration of Death (BD8 or White Form)
  • Death Certificate ( Charge)
Purchase Extra Death Certificates

Registration is free but there are charges for the certified copies,

Purchase extra copies of the death certificate as many financial institutes will require one.Banks, building societies, and life insurance policies will require one.

Additional Notifications

Some of the other people that need notifying

  • HMRC – Tax
  • UK Passport Agency
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • Council Tax Services
  • Electoral Services
  • Banks & Building Society
  • Insurance
  • Pension Provider
  • Mortgage Company
  • Utility Companies
  • Doctors
  • Solicitors
Tell Us Once Service

The UK Government offer a Tell US Once Service which can notify a number of agencies. You need this information to hand:

  • Date of Birth
  • National Insurance Number
  • Driving Licence Number
  • Car Registration Number
  • Passport Number

Frequently asked questions
Looking for more info? Here are some things we're commonly asked

Yep, like every other website we also use
delicious cookies to track you.