Root Cause Analysis (RCA): Why did the problem occur?
Root cause analysis (RCA) is a problem-solving process for identifying “root causes” of what has happened.
Those annoying problems that just keep popping up so get that feeling of déjà vu. Those problems keep making an unwelcome appearance again and again, daily, weekly, or even monthly.
RCA can help by not focusing on the solution first. But addressing the ‘why’ does this keep happening?
The prime objective of the root cause analysis is to understand the underlying cause of the problem before implementing solutions so you don’t cause more problems.
Step-by-Step Guide Root Cause Analysis Process
- People: Who has knowledge of the problem?
- Procedures & Policies: What procedures were involved? Were procedures followed?
- Systems & Technology: Did technology or systems have a negative affect in events? What role did it play?
- Workplace Environment: Scheduling pressures?
- What caused the effect?
- When the cause occurs, will it always have the same effect?
- Effectiveness: Does it address the target cause?
- Implementable: Can the solution be implemented?
- Additional Problems: Make sure it will not cause additional problems.
- Pilot implementation
- Controlled monitoring plan
- Analysis results
Understand 'Why' before Implementing a Solution
Instinctively we try to find a solution rather than identify and addressing the root of the problem. This method doesn’t necessarily result in the best long-term results.
RCA can help answer the question, why the problem happened in the first place. Identify the underlying causes and find an appropriate solution.
Several methodologies have a similar approach like 5 ws and DMAIC all-important parts of six sigma methodology of process improvement and and continuous improvement a great way to eliminate business faults .
Value Stream Mapping and process mapping is integral in any enterprise because it paints an elaborate picture of what the
Businesses should work to make processes as efficient as possible. Part of that means eliminating mistakes or the potential for