Websites are essential for a business to grow and get new customers and the most asked question is how can a small business help themselves and to increase ranking on google and get on page one of Google!
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is an essential part of any digital marketing and advertising campaign. Search engines like Google determine how high you should rank on the results page from information gathered when they index your site. This can be specific keywords and phrases
Optimising your website can significantly help a small business succeed and ranking on google so I have created a checklist of things to take into account to try and help your business.
Always remember Google is a business that wants to give their customers the best results as that is essential to their business success so make sure you are giving people what they are expecting. E-A-T SEO Google (Expertise, Authoritativeness and Trustworthiness)
Checklist Why Your Business Might Not Be Ranking on Google?
Checklist of things you need to look at to get on Google and improve ranking on google:
- Content & Keyword Optimisation: Keywords need to be researched using a tool like Google keyword planner. Each page needs to be optimised for a single keyword not multiple different words. The keywords need to be placed within the webpage header, title tag, alt image tags, URL, and Meta description. Then used within the page itself but NOT excessively.
Always focus on readability and user experience over rankings.
- Internal & External In-Bound Links:
Search engines crawl websites by following links both internal and external links. Links can identify the relationship between the pages, posts and other content. On page SEO and Off page SEO
Internal linking structure is where one page on your website links to another to help visitors and search engines to find your most important pages and content.
External inbound links to your website indicates to Google that other sites trust your website and give it authority in the field.
- Duplicated Content: Duplicated or Plagiarised content that is very similar to another website content. Be unique and offer help, advice to the question being asked. Duplicated content can also happen within your own website so it is important to use canonicalization (rel canonical) to indicate to search engines which content and page is the master copy of that content.
- Mobile-Friendly: How mobile-friendly is your website? There are a huge amount of Google searches through mobile devices everyday and because of this Google announced "Prepare for mobile-first indexing" where they will focus on mobile indexing as a priority over desktop from March 2021. Currently "Mobile devices account for 63% of all Google searches" so you can see why it is so important as we move forward.
Mobile friendly is also important for visitor experience and will look more professional and will attract more visits.
- Website Loading Time: Website speed is critical for SEO and user experience as slow loading can inconvenience users. Google ranks faster-loading websites higher than slower loading websites. Google have PageSpeed tools.
Lazy-loading content where deferring loading of non-critical or non-visible content.
- Reviews: Reviews are essential to help both ranking better and influence potential customers. They also influence how Google see your business relevance, trustworthiness, and authority. Actively encourage customers to leave feedback and reviews. Reviews offer a way to use the power of reviews to drive more traffic to your website, build trust with potential customers thus improving rankings. Win, win, win!
- Robot TXT: Make sure search engines can easily crawl your website and where possible make it easier. Make sure to include a Robot.txt file tells googlebots and other searchbots which pages to crawl.
- Google My Business Page: Local SEO is important to small businesses. Create a account to share your business details like name, product, or service, contact details like email address, phone numbers, website address and essential details like opening times.
I hope this checklist has helped give you ideas on how you can help improve your business ranking on google.